Join us for our monthly trail workday and social. Workdays are scheduled for the second Sunday of each month. Build locations vary each month.
The next workday is scheduled for:
Location: Oil Well Flats (upper TH)RSVP HERE
Description: The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), in partnership with the Lower Arkansas Mountain Bicycling Association (LAMBA) and Fremont Adventure Recreation (FAR), is starting up second-Sunday-of-the-month trail work days. Weather permitting, we will continue this effort year-round in order to increase our ever-growing local singletrack system.
The inaugural Second Sunday Singletrack will be this coming Sunday, November 10th. We will meet at 9:30am at the Oil Well Flats Fire Canyon Trailhead (directions below) and work a half day on key re-routes along the damaged Fire Canyon Trail. Volunteers for the inaugural Second Sunday Singletrack will receive a free t-shirt and some great new trail. Additionally, FAR and Pizza Madness will be sponsoring some free lunch after the workday for all volunteers. Pizza, beer, friends, and Broncos on the TV – not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
Volunteers will need to wear sturdy shoes/boots and appropriate clothing, and bring snacks, water, your own work gloves, and anything else you need in order to be comfortable out on the trail for a few hours. Trail tools and training will be provided.
Please come on out to show your appreciation for all the new trails at Oil Well Flats, and lend a hand to make them even better. We hope to see you out for the inaugural Second Sunday Singletrack work session. If you can't make it out this month, go ahead and mark your calendars for every second Sunday and we'll see you next time!
Directions to Fire Canyon Trailhead at Oil Well Flats:
• In Canon City from Hwy US-50, turn right (north) onto Dozier Ave (at Wal-Mart on the far east side of town).
• Travel north on Dozier Ave and the road will curve to the left (west) and become Central Ave.
• At the intersection of Central Ave and Field Ave (four way stop), turn right (north) onto Field Ave.
• Travel on Field Ave (two lane road) for about 2 miles until where it joins up with County Road 9 (also called Red Canyon Road) via a 'Y' type intersection.
• Take the right fork onto County Road 9. Continue traveling north for approximately 4 miles.
• Take a right (east) onto the dirt BLM Road #5940, just after you cross the creek.
• Follow the BLM Road #5940 (dirt road) up the hill for approximately 3/4 mile.
• Turn right onto BLM Road #5941
• Follow Road #5941 for approximately 1/2 mile.
• Turn left onto BLM Road #5941A and follow it approximately 1/4 mile to the Fire Canyon Trailhead.
The MTB Project map below has a information on most of the trails in Fremont County. The database continues to be updated.